Thursday, September 20, 2012

Joy Junkie


Watch this video after you read the following paragraphs. Or just watch it and ignore me. Trust me, it's worth it.

It's come to my attention that I am an absolute, unapologetic Joy Junkie. I soak it up like a sponge thirsty for water. I think it's because

1) I've always been this way - able to watch the saddest, most depressing stuff on earth but only cry when something happy occurs. The first time I saw Titanic I was totally fine. Until the end when the cute little old lady throws the diamond overboard and before we know it, we're back on the ship with everyone applauding and smiling and Jack comes down the staircase and...and...sobfest. Totally lost it.

2) The sound of applause has always made me cry. The intensity of the joy in seeing something amazing and giving the performer their due never, ever, loses its meaning.

3) Seriously? I am a sponge. I feel other people's emotions. I pick up on vibes. If I have a tough day it's probably because I have heard something particularly awful or seen something extra despicable. In my job I see people at their absolute worst and lowest. They tell me things they have never told another soul. And probably never will. Their deep shame, guilt, fear, anger, sadness, and hurt literally becomes a part of me and in order to maintain balance I need big, whopping scoops of joy, love, creativity, and humor.

That's where shows like The X Factor, The Voice, and America's Got Talent absolutely suck me in. (I'm anti-Idol. I have to draw the line somewhere.)

The video above is a long one. It's 12 minutes. But if you're like me, you will soak up those 12 minutes, be moved to tears, and ultimately, be so glad you watched it. I cried like a baby when I saw it on the original show a few nights ago and so did my husband. We agree it was the adorable grandma with her cataract glasses that really put us over the edge but Simon Cowell losing it sure gave it that extra kick.

So take 12 minutes for yourself today to watch something beautiful and moving and uplifting. It takes 3 positive emotions to counter every 1 negative so consider this a prescription from the Angry Shrink to you with love!

No comments:

Post a Comment